Has anyone else been sick more than normal this winter? The constantly shifting temperatures haven't helped but what I keep seeing in clinic over and over is a weakened immune system.
I write a lot about how to strengthen the immune system but want to extend some extra information to help with this winter specifically.
Here are some extra things to do to improve an already weakened immune system:
1) High dose probiotic - this puts the healthy fighting bacteria into your system so that you can fend off the nasty bacterias and viruses that are plentiful this winter. Try to get one that is higher than 10 billion CFU. My favorite choice is HMF Intensive by Genestra.
2) Bone broth soup - this replenishes the body with Yin (the rooted, grounded, healthy body energy). Try to make the following recipe on a weekend and have a cup or two daily throughout the week. Recipe:
3) CUT THE SUGAR!! Sugar is the fuel for viruses and bacteria to live on. Consumption of sugar impairs the immune system's ability to fight bad bugs for 48 hours! Here is a great article to cutting it out:
4) Deep Immune or Astragalus when you are GETTING sick - this is important - I have many patients that rely on the wonderful remedy called Deep Immune (by St Francis) but it should be taken only when you feel like you are starting to come down with something. Once you are actually sick - Stop it! It works as an adaptogen so can bring your immune system down once you are actively sick.
5) If you have to take antibiotics - be sure to double up on your probiotic for the next 2 weeks following. The bad bacteria that was killed means that the good bacteria got wiped out with it and you will need to recolonize the gut from scratch.
6) Come in for an appointment! If a cold is lingering and resurfacing in different forms, it means organ systems are under-functioning - We can fix it! :)
Wishing you a healthy rest of this winter season!
Dr. Kate Hunter, ND