It hasn't been a very sunny Spring so far this year which can mean more pollen and allergies for those who suffer. Here are my recommendations to keep your symptoms controlled through the next 4 week allergy season.
1) High dose probiotic - the reason the body releases histamines is due to an immune system deficiency where it recognizes allergens as dangerous. The system then secretes mucous to protect the mucous membranes from the supposed dangerous substances. Recolonizing the gut flora with proper bacteria will better help the immune system know when to react and when it is safe to process an allergen without a systemic reaction - mucous, itching, swelling etc.
2) Vitamin C - This antioxidant vitamin down regulates histamine release. Dosing can be tricky since it can give some people loose bowels but you should be save between 2000mg - 5000mg/day.
3) Quercetin - this is a herb that is readily available at healthfood stores and works best if taken 2 months before allergy season. It helps reset the immune system so that reactions are modified to benign allergens. It can still help strengthen the immune system if you are currently experiencing allergy symptoms. Follow dosing recommendations on the bottle.
4) Aller-gen - this is a brilliant combo remedy by Seroyal that uses the buds of herbs to produce a high concentration of herbs that help decrease allergy symptoms. It lessens the symptoms experiences with hyper-reaction to allergens. Dosing is mild since the bud remedies are potent - 5 drops 2x/day.
5) Dietary Modifications - the following foods increase mucous production so it is a good idea to remove them completely if you struggle with allergies!
- yeast, salt, cheese, yogurt, chocolate, refined sugars and flours --> all of these increase mucous.
6) Mucous reducing juice! Here is my recipe for an allergen reducing juice that you can drink daily during allergy season:
- In a juicer, combine 4 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 2-3 sprigs of parsley, 1 radish and 1 garlic clove. Drink daily on an empty stomach.
If you are struggling with allergies or any immune system dysfunction - get in touch with me, I can help you sort it out!
Wishing you a happy start to the summer!
Dr. Kate Hunter, ND